Day One: Oregon, Mt. Morris, Dixon, Rochelle
Start in Oregon, the northern-most part of Ogle County.
Your first stop will be in Oregon, IL in a converted 1893 Schiller Piano Factory, now Conover Square. It has many distinctive shops that wind throughout this 2-story historic building.
- Check out Conover Coffees & Chocolate. Among the chocolate truffles, meltaways, nuts, and caramels, gourmet bridge mix, other favorites, you’ll find one very rare and extraordinary ingredient, their 100% pure chocolate passion. They offer more than 70 different kinds of chocolate indulgences along with gourmet blends of coffees, teas, & smoothies. Open 7 days.
After leaving Conover Square, travel a short distance to
- Oregon Soap Shoppe where the “chocolate goodies” have some very important features! They are 100% guilt free, 100% calorie free, OH so very good for you and only mildly habit forming. Choose from their many soaps, the delicious chocolate varieties or any of the other 150+ blends to nurture the skin you are in. Besides the Chocolate Mint, Chocolate Amber, and Milk Chocolate Almond soaps for your bathing adventures, keep your lips kissable with Chocolate Covered Cherry and Chocolate Mint lip balms. Exfoliating a favorite past time of yours…then try the Chocolate Bath Salts or Chocolate Mint Sugar Scrubs. Closed Mondays.
Travel southwest approx. 6 miles to
- White Pines Inn in rural Mt. Morris. Located in the beautiful White Pines Forest State Park, discover the historic lodge restaurant, pioneer guest cabins, delightful country gift shop and entertaining dinner theater* that make up the White Pines Inn. Enjoy a matinee Dinner Theater performance (Reservations recommended). Chocolate lovers will delight in the gift shop’s assorted chocolate, truffles & myrtles and the restaurant’s chocolate cobbler & ice cream desserts. Motor coach groups easily accommodated. * Only available on specific dates.
Ready to call it a day? Head back to Route 2 and drive south approx. 10 miles to Dixon. Along the way you will enjoy some of the most scenic drives in the state on this leg of the trip.
- Check-in at the Comfort Inn. It provides the chocolate lover with a variety of chocolate treats in your room upon arrival. After checking in, return to Dixon’s historic downtown. Dine in one of Dixon’s many restaurants and stroll the new Heritage Crossing riverfront, enjoying beautifully paved walks with a gorgeous view of the Rock River. SWEET DREAMS! Note: please request the Chocolate Trail package when making reservations.
Day 2: Dixon, Rochelle
Wake up the next morning with a full breakfast at the Quality or a deluxe continental breakfast at the Comfort Inn. Once you’ve checked out, head into Dixon to visit the many unique shops it has to offer, including
- Baker’s Street for their tempting scones, muffins, specialty cakes and coffees (roasted in-house). Closed Sundays.
- Be sure to walk just a block or two north to the Dixon Welcome Center. It’s located right on the riverfront. While there you can shop for unique Dixon gifts or maybe pick up a cute “Got Chocolate” t-shirt or custom made Dixon Petunia logo chocolate.
Next, heading towards home, visit Rochelle, just 30 minutes east of Dixon. Your last stops will include:Colonial Flowers & Gifts features seasonal décor and they also offer a wide variety of fresh, classic chocolates in upscale packaging and free chocolate samples. Closed Sundays. The deVine Wine Bar and Eatery is located on the 2nd floor of the Hickory Grove Bldg and offers amazing Chocolate Martinis, a chocolate fondue for two served with fruit, pound cake and cream puffs. They also have chocolate liquor cups for your after dinner delight. The Iron Skillet, located within the Petro Travel Plaza offers 54 different kinds of gourmet chocolates that rotate in their two beautiful display cases, and many of which are sugar-free. There's fudge too! Pick form Snickers, Cheesecake, Pumpkins and more! We also offer Truffles, Sea-Salt Caramels and old fashioned hard candy sticks. The Iron Skillet is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year!
Time to head home!